About the cover photo: It took me three attempts of between 4 and 5 days each to get into the spot where this photo was taken. On the first two trips I suffered some very painful injuries. This spot is in the Baker River drainage in North Cascades National Park. Do you know the name of the mountain?

Converse hightops on my feet, I traverse the North Cascades in pursuit of my life project to walk into every high lake or pond mapped in the Skagit River watershed. The upper Skagit Valley near Marblemount, WA is my home and has been home to my family since 1888. I have come to feel that the culture of this place, like the culture of much of rural America, is misunderstood by an increasingly urban population and threatened by economic depression. I would like to share the stories of this place and the people who call it home. Through my stories and images of these mountains, my goal is to help others understand and respect both the natural resources and the people of the North Cascades.


Monday, April 1, 2013

Easter Sunday 2013


The plan was to finish a grape trellis before meeting my wife Sacha in Rockport to go to her mother’s about an hour away in Arlington for dinner. Before dinner I would use Lynn’s (Sacha’s mom) full size pickup to bring a chicken tractor and a rototiller back to Rockport then return to Arlington. To pull this off, I needed to be in Rockport at 11:30 a.m. The grape trellis was at my mom’s in Marblemount, about 20 minutes drive from Rockport and one and a half hours drive from Arlington.

Our 15 month old daughter woke us up early but still I got a late start. I made good progress though and figured I would have time to feed the cows and get back to Rockport and take care of a few minor chores there. But when I looked at my watch after putting my tools away, it was 11:10 and I still needed to feed the cows.

Then something occurred to me. Either the battery or alternator is going bad in my car so the battery doesn’t hold a very strong charge. I had pulled my car up in the driveway near the garden so I could listen to the radio while I was working on the trellis. On a hunch that the hour or two of radio time had drained the battery enough that the starter wouldn’t work, I tried to start the car. Nothing.

Of course the car was in the middle of the driveway facing the wrong way to jump it with the farm pickup. So I put it in neutral and began pushing it back up the driveway. I soon hit a slight downslope and the car gathered momentum but it was going off course. With a vivid vision of the car running over me, I managed to jump behind the wheel and correct the car’s course. It is not too hard to jump behind the wheel of a vehicle you are pushing forward. I found that it is very hard to jump behind the wheel of a car moving backward.

Rather than use the farm truck and jumper cables, I hooked the car up to a battery charger and set about feeding the cows. By the time the cows were fed, the battery was charged enough to start the car.

I arrived in Rockport half an hour late but was saved by my daughter who had been very hungry and was in the middle of a snack when I arrived.  

I caught a few catnaps on the way to Arlington where we arrived a little late at about 1:00 p.m. Dinner was supposed to be between 2:00 and 3:00 p.m.

The rototiller needed to be running in order to walk it up the loading ramps into the pickup but it hadn’t been run in a year and the gas had not been emptied from the tank. Fearing bad gas might shellac the carburetor, I drained the gas and added new. A few cranks and it fired up. Honda makes good small engines.

With the rototiller loaded, three of us loaded the chicken tractor. It is a small chicken tractor but I wasn’t sure how I was going to get it unloaded at the other end because I didn’t have ready access to a farm tractor with a loader.

I headed out of Arlington at 2:00 p.m. and arrived in Rockport at about 3:00 p.m. With a little manhandling, I managed to get the chicken tractor out by getting one end on the ground then taking the other end and walking it in a semi-circle out of the pickup bed. The rototiller unloaded very easily with the ramps.

I arrived back in Arlington at about 4:00 p.m. Everyone had waited for me so we had dinner shortly after I arrived. It was very good, salad, ham, bean gratin, dilly bread, broccoli, deviled eggs, sweet potatoes, asparagus and lemon mousse with raspberry topping for dessert.

I got a chance to visit a little bit and took a short nap after dinner. Then it was time to go. We got home in time to do a load of dishes and a load of laundry (I often handle the washing of my own work clothes) before it was time for bed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment