About the cover photo: It took me three attempts of between 4 and 5 days each to get into the spot where this photo was taken. On the first two trips I suffered some very painful injuries. This spot is in the Baker River drainage in North Cascades National Park. Do you know the name of the mountain?

Converse hightops on my feet, I traverse the North Cascades in pursuit of my life project to walk into every high lake or pond mapped in the Skagit River watershed. The upper Skagit Valley near Marblemount, WA is my home and has been home to my family since 1888. I have come to feel that the culture of this place, like the culture of much of rural America, is misunderstood by an increasingly urban population and threatened by economic depression. I would like to share the stories of this place and the people who call it home. Through my stories and images of these mountains, my goal is to help others understand and respect both the natural resources and the people of the North Cascades.


Saturday, June 7, 2014

Last Calf of 2014 meets First Calf of 2013


I was getting the cows ready to move back to the home pasture after I get a calf shed to a point where it is stable enough to withstand relentless rubbing by the cows. When I do this, I take a small container (an old basting pan with holes in the bottom) of grain and call them (Com’Boss, Com’Boss) from the back of the Stump Farm. This gets them accustomed to following the call. The grain is just the lure to train them with. The older cows already know the routine and would probably move quite easily. It is the younger ones that aren’t as familiar with the route that I always worry about.

This particular evening I took the pan of grain with me on my evening walk with Skyeball. We usually go past the back corner of the Stump Farm on these walks. I called the cows and they came running (they really like grain). I noticed that Miss D was lagging behind the rest and then I saw that a new calf, the last calf of the year, was trailing her.

I put the grain out in little piles so no one cow could hog it all. I gave Miss D the last bit in the pan and tried to get a better look at the calf to see if it was a heifer or a bull. The calf was a day or two old and vigorous enough to run pretty well. It shied and started to trot away from me.

Harley (short for Harlequin), Racer’s calf from last year that I wrote about in the post, New Addition to the Herd of 4/3/13, saw the new calf trotting away and started to chase it. Harley dwarfs the new calf and it started to run faster. Harley started to chase it faster, and to make it worse, several of the other yearlings seeing Harley running joined her.

The new calf hit the fence at the edge of the pasture and went through it like it wasn’t even there. This wasn’t surprising. The wire was really loose because the cows had recently knocked off a corner fence brace that helped keep tension on the wire. And even in top condition, the fences aren’t designed to stop calves. They are designed to keep the big cows in the pasture and one hopes and assumes that the young calves don’t want to get too far from their mothers so they don’t often get out.  

The chase and escape all happened in a matter of seconds and there wasn’t anything I could do about it. I went to the fence, got through it, and started looking for the calf. This part of the fence borders the Diobsud Creek Road.  I had lost sight of the calf when it went through the fence though it had appeared to be heading south along the road towards Highway 20.

A look up and down the road yielded nothing and the packed gravel surface held no tracks. So I started south along the road looking into the brush on either side. Then I noticed a neighbor who had just turned in from Highway 20 coming up the road. He was driving more slowly than normal and stopped to talk. I think I asked if he had seen a calf at almost the same instance he asked me if I was looking for a calf. He said he had seen it just down the road and it had turned west off into the brush.

I didn’t see the calf where he said it had turned off into the brush. It is really thick in this spot and visibility is about 5 feet. So I went a little past that spot and circled back around toward it. My hope was that, if I didn’t see it, I might jump it and hear it moving through the brush and locate it that way.

The wild card in this whole matter was Skyeball who just loves to chase things. If I see her and stop her she won’t chase but she was out of sight making noise in the brush herself. So I couldn’t be sure if it was Skyeball or the calf I was hearing.

I decided to let Skyeball run loose in the chance that she might jump the calf and hopefully not run it too far off in the woods. This was my main concern. The calf had run several hundred yards from the pasture and there was a very good chance it wouldn’t find its way back. When it started bawling for its mother, Miss D, she would probably go through the fence to get it, assuming the coyotes didn’t get it first.

Under this scenario, I would have both the cow and the calf out wondering around near the highway, newly opened for the year and full of people driving fast in a hurry to get somewhere. Cows are funny, they will work their way, or walk or even run through a barbed wire fence but they rarely go back through the fence in the other direction.

I didn’t see any sign of the calf. When I got back near where it had bailed off the Diobsud Creek Road, I got on my hands and knees and crawled for a while in order to see through the brush better. Finally I heard something that I was pretty sure wasn’t Skyeball. And then I saw some brush moving about ten yards away. I worked my way over but didn’t see or hear anything else. Then I took a long step through some bracken ferns and realized that I had just stepped over the calf. It was lying quietly slightly curled up just like a fawn or an elk calf would. The calf is red with a white face and white markings, not exactly a color that blends in well with Pacific Northwest greenery but it was surprisingly well hidden.

It laid there quietly while I picked it up and then the struggle was on. It struggled and twisted and kicked and kicked and twisted. I had just had a vasectomy in the not too distant past and was still feeling a little tender in some parts that are already naturally tender. These tender spots got kicked several times. I held on to the calf though. If it got to run again, I might not be able to catch it. Sweating and panting, with aching arms, I managed to carry it several hundred yards back to the edge of the pasture and push it under the fence. This was made easier due to the slack wire.

Miss D was quite happy to get her calf back and the calf seemed quite happy to be back with its mother. It is a little bull, by the way.

This little adventure brings up an interesting point. I had entertained the thought of keeping Harley for a breeding cow because she has some pretty unique markings. This is entirely the wrong reason to keep an animal that is meant to serve a purpose such as eating or working.

Most of the animals I have ever known, like people, have their own unique personalities. Harley’s sire was a bull named Bullseye. Bullseye wasn’t particularly mean but he had a way about him and did things in a manner such that, nine times out of ten, if there was a problem of some kind, it could be traced directly back to Bullseye. I don’t know how many times he got out or how many fences he bent down. Several times when I was moving the cows, even though he had traveled between the two pastures many times and knew the way quite well, he would stop in the middle of the gate at the back of the pasture and block the young calves, who didn’t know the way, from getting through. Then he would take off and go straight to the other pasture, leaving the calves behind, now separated from their mothers and completely lost.

I don’t think Bullseye was doing this on purpose. It was just his way. Goofy, rambunctious, obnoxious. Obnoxious is the best word I can think of to describe Bullseye. He wasn’t particularly mean but he was an obnoxious knothead who made a lot of things much harder than they had to be. I finally got tired of this and I got rid of him. I see a lot of the same type of obnoxious tendencies in Harley.

Big cows might accidently trample a little calf but they usually don’t chase after them. I think this is the first time I have witnessed this behavior. Chasing something that is running away seems to be a widespread instinct. I have witnessed young calves and coyotes chasing each other at the home pasture, apparently at play, which I am sure was the case while the big cows were nearby (I’m sure it would have been something more serious and deadly for the calves if the coyotes had ever been able to separate them from the herd).

In Harley’s defense, she is still young and has a lot of energy. I am sure she wasn’t trying to kill the calf but her actions put it in danger. Most cows mellow in a few years, especially after they have had a calf or two. I am willing to give Harley another chance but I have my eye on her and if she keeps causing problems, she will gone. Quirky personalities that always seem to create troubles might be just fine or even funny in people or pet animals but I can’t tolerate it if you are a beef cow in our herd.

This highlights why you shouldn’t choose your work animals on novelty looks alone. In this world there are many things might look pretty on the surface but their true value lies in the underlying characteristics that aren’t often so visible. Traits like good, healthy calves, successful calving, calf care, not making a lot of extra work for me are much more important than looks alone.

A good example of this is Grapeleaf. She isn’t much to look at, kind of bony, often slightly crazed and sometimes quite dangerous. But she calves every year without problems, she has healthy calves and takes good care of them. She generally doesn’t create a lot of problems so I can forgive her less appealing traits.  

Buildings are another good example. Our hay barn is pretty boring architecturally speaking. It is a square building with a couple of lean-tos and no fancy architecture but the design is very efficient for moving hay into it. I know some barns that have pretty cool architectural features that are nightmare to put hay into. The very architecture that creates the look means you have to fight bales around tight corners and stacks of bales that, of a necessity to get the barn filled, are in your way. This means spending a lot more time and expending a lot more effort, often in awkward body positions inside a hot, stuffy barn. No Thank You!

Finally, I should mention our dog Skyeball. She is a pretty dog with one brown eye and one blue eye and the type of facial markings, cheek patches and two small patches over the eyes, that are so attractive to many people. But she is a handful, very smart but also quite willful.

She had been to the pound twice before we got her because she was more work than the people who had her were willing to deal with. As I stated earlier, while looking for that calf, she was a wild card. I am sure that, with a little work, she would be a very good herd dog but I don't have the time to put into training her. She knows the command to stay and she will follow it for a short time. But sometimes she will willfully disobey a command if there is something exciting going on, especially if there is something to chase. It would take a huge investment in time, that I don’t have, to train her better and, obviously, the two different people who had her before us didn’t want to deal with her, period.  

The world would be a rather dull place without pretty things. I suppose sometimes it is worth it to sacrifice some functionality in favor of aesthetics but with cows and a lot of other things I have found that functionality is much more valuable that aesthetics. There is a sweet spot where something that is aesthetically pleasing is at the same time very functional. This is often hard to find. I will be keeping my eye on Harley in the future. 

Dreadlocks or Miss D with her new calf, a little bull and the last calf due in 2014. At the time this photo was taken, Miss D was keeping her calf away from the rest of the herd. 



Left to Right: Racer and Harley. Harley is Racer's calf from just last year and, even though she is only a yearling, she is as big as or bigger than her mother. 

No comments:

Post a Comment