About the cover photo: It took me three attempts of between 4 and 5 days each to get into the spot where this photo was taken. On the first two trips I suffered some very painful injuries. This spot is in the Baker River drainage in North Cascades National Park. Do you know the name of the mountain?

Converse hightops on my feet, I traverse the North Cascades in pursuit of my life project to walk into every high lake or pond mapped in the Skagit River watershed. The upper Skagit Valley near Marblemount, WA is my home and has been home to my family since 1888. I have come to feel that the culture of this place, like the culture of much of rural America, is misunderstood by an increasingly urban population and threatened by economic depression. I would like to share the stories of this place and the people who call it home. Through my stories and images of these mountains, my goal is to help others understand and respect both the natural resources and the people of the North Cascades.


Thursday, March 13, 2014

Storm Poem


I am not a big fan of poetry. There I said it. There are certainly poems that I like but I usually don’t go out of my way to read poetry. The exception to this is music lyrics, although I recently heard one of our poet laureates proclaim that song lyrics are not poetry.

I think it is too bad that some people take that attitude. I think poetry and music have very strong links stretching far back into prehistory. The psalms in the bible were originally set to music as was the Song of Songs or the Song of Solomon (go figure). While these verses retain some poetic beauty, I bet they were quite remarkable when sung.

Music and lyrics in combination work together as mnemonic tools. The Odyssey and Illiad were both passed down in song hundreds of years before Homer ever wrote them down. Not long ago I heard or read about people in eastern Europe, in part of the old Scythian territory, Romania and Bulgaria, if I remember correctly, that still carry on a tradition of singing epic stories very similar to the Odyssey and Illiad. The scientists who studied these epic songs measured the modern songs with much older versions and found them to be amazingly accurate. I don’t remember the exact numbers but it seemed like the modern songs were in the high 80 percentile or even 90 percentile of preserving songs hundreds of years or even millennia old.

I have also heard of this method being employed by non literate people to remember certain critical routes for journeys or for where to find resources in times of famine or drought. I have a hunch that using words set to music as a tool to remember stories and retain knowledge without writing has been employed by many peoples throughout much of human history and prehistory.

So, I would argue that song lyrics are, in fact, poetry and may have been very important for the practical purpose of preserving knowledge and helping people survive long before poetry was ever an art form, done just for the sake of being pretty.

All that being said, even though I’m not a big poetry fan, I did write a poem and it isn’t set to music. I don’t know why I wrote it. It was like an itch that needed to be scratched and wouldn’t be denied. It is an amalgamation of some of my own personal experiences and stories I have heard from others. It has been a work in progress for many years now and probably still needs some work. But, without further ado, here it is as it exists today:

Painted red by setting sun’s rays
A valley born in ancient days
When glaciers ate through granite stone
Laying bare the mountain’s bones

So begins my harrowing tale
When wandering foot found lonely vale
Where the mountains spoke low and deep
In the roar of streams where waterfalls leaped

As I made my camp a storm did swell
From distant crags where spirits dwell
Grim black clouds, dying light’s doom
And thunder echoed through the gloom

Brilliant slashes ripped the night
And marked the path of Thunderbird’s flight
And all around no place to hide
As lightning stabbed the mountainside

Electric tingle clothed my skin
And banshee’s cry on wailing wind
My hands in futile fists were clenched
As nostrils filled with ozone stench

And on the wings of the howling gale
Slashing rain and driving hail

Trembling there in mortal fright
Witnessed Storm God’s awful might
Fleet images danced in widened eye
Jagged peak and leaden sky

A blinding scene in front of me
Stark lit ridge and shattered tree
And mind filled dark with afterglow
Rock, and ice, and fields of snow

As titans battled, Earth and Air
Dry mouth worded silent prayer
And thunder cracked and rolled and boomed
Resounding through my mountain tomb

And the tempest raged on, an hour and more
From mountaintop to valley floor
What folly brought me to this place?
Shrinking beneath the mountain’s battered face?

I wished I were somewhere else, safe and warm
Not out in the cursed storm
Huddled there, I pleaded and prayed and swore
A minute speck in a cosmic war

I thought my petitions had been in vain
But then the storm began to wane
Tearing winds became soft caress
And thunder rumbled less and less

And less and less the sky was rent
The storm moved on, it’s fury spent
The night grew quiet with tempest gone
And stillness reigned until the dawn

Into me a great weariness crept
And until bright day I soundly slept

A glorious scene when I woke
Mountains shedding cloudy cloak
High ridges above by sun were kissed
Dark trees below, half hidden in mist

Meadows rang with songbird’s chorus
Above the fog drifting through the forest
A hawk overhead, did wheel and soar
And the mountain’s voice in waterfall’s roar

So I left that place and now end my story
With snowcapped peaks bathed in morning’s glory

The End

P.S. I mention spirits in the poem quite frequently. While I am pretty much an agnostic when it comes to spiritual things, I have also noticed that different areas in the mountains have different auras or “vibes” associated with them.

One can put this down to spirits, and I wouldn’t say positively that this is not the case, but one could also seek an explanation that could be understood in the terms of western science. Each different area in the Cascades has its own look. In the drainages of the Sauk, Suiattle, Whitechuck Rivers, Whitechuck Mountain, Mount Pugh and Sloan Peak are three prominent mountains that dominate the landscape in the area outside of the vicinity of Glacier Peak. Further north, the mountains are more of a jumble with few individual mountains besides Mount Baker and Mount Shuksan dominating the landscape. Along the Fraser River, the mountains seem to be quite abrupt, dropping very steeply into the valley floor.

All of this is probably due, in part, to the way the ice moved through these areas during the last ice age as well as the rock that forms these mountains and how competent, or erosion resistant, this rock is. The different forms that mountains and valleys take in different areas might also lead to sound reacting differently in the different areas, giving each one a distinct sound, and thus “vibe” of its own.

I have my favorite areas where I like the “vibes”, the Skagit near Marblemount and the Cascade River and the north side of the Suiattle, as well as the Baker River. I wouldn’t describe the feelings I get from these places as being warm and welcoming, I always feel a sense of peril but I love these places nonetheless.

I have included some photos that capture some dramatic skies and create, at least in my mind, a sense of spirits at work in the mountains.








This is a panorama of some of the previous photos. I don't know how it will appear on different people's browsers or if  you will be able to enlarge it enough to see the fine details. 

No comments:

Post a Comment